One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line

Providing the Original One Piece RP Experience Since 2007

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)

Go down 
+2
nikz200
TheBlackLuffy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBlackLuffy

TheBlackLuffy

How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Empty
PostSubject: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm just curious on this..I've always been one to not worry about it. But attaining a College degree is a milestone many people dream about - and except to achieve. But with the rising cost of tuition and high unemployment rates for recent graduate, is college a necessity or a luxury?

I mean what is college for? Is it to gain skills for future employment? Immerse oneself in a field of study? Experience character-defining events? Something else?

What are your thoughts on the matter?
Back to top Go down
nikz200

nikz200

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:16 pm

I am in the middle of my final year of my law degree . Now a degree is essential for you to get a job and really you learn about freedom in real life. I think you dont really learn alot of skills, but its good for your overall development. In the end, its better to get a degree, than gamble your life away.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackLuffy

TheBlackLuffy

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:22 pm

So would you say College is more of a necessity even with the huge unemployment rate? The unemployed are even those with Masters and Bachelors. So would it be necessary in this economy to get a degree?
Back to top Go down
nikz200

nikz200

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 5:49 pm

if you were to go to a job interview right now, the most basic requirement or plus, is that you have a degree. Now is the best time due to the unemployment rate, to go get a degree and in a few years time, you will certainly be more employable. Skills of course are necessary, but dont look down a college education.
Back to top Go down
Layman Iconoclast
Admin
Layman Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 8:07 pm

as a collage student I can tell you that many collage professors are doing research on this topic (at least where I go to school) and many students actually sue their university for not being able to find a job with their degree
Back to top Go down
https://theonepiecerp.rpg-board.net
Cobdogred
Admin
Cobdogred

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 1:05 am

I'm attending college currently, however I really don't think it's necessary. There are a lot of people that are just getting into debt then having to take a job that can barely pay the bills. Now if we look at someone with the job that doesn't have to pay off old debts, these low paying jobs aren't so bad. If you have little in debt before hand, I honestly thing you can get a somewhat decent, somewhat low paying job and be just fine.
Back to top Go down
Redmerv
Admin
Redmerv

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:38 am

sure there aren't a lot jobs. but you CAN get one if you work hard and become very good at something a company needs, then attending college would help you gain certain skills you can use to develop yourself. but its your own thing to decide how hard you work

I believe if you are exceptional good at something it ain't too hard to get a job if your not to picky you should just realis your qualitys and see what you can improve it.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackLuffy

TheBlackLuffy

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 7:08 am

Cobdogred wrote:
I'm attending college currently, however I really don't think it's necessary. There are a lot of people that are just getting into debt then having to take a job that can barely pay the bills. Now if we look at someone with the job that doesn't have to pay off old debts, these low paying jobs aren't so bad. If you have little in debt before hand, I honestly thing you can get a somewhat decent, somewhat low paying job and be just fine.

My EXACT thoughts on the matter. Sure its good to have higher education. But when you look at it in this current economy is it the financially wisest disition to make if you have oh so much funds. Spend so much time and effort into getting your degree, then coming out and being 10-15 years in debt and can't find a job. And even if you do find a job can you pay off the debt you owe people?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 9:12 am

I think it'd be better to go to college. It doesn't mean you'll get a job but it'll raise your chances of getting one I believe. That and I don't want people to go what I go through and work three jobs during spring, fall and winter then four in the summer.
Back to top Go down
Layman Iconoclast
Admin
Layman Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 2:10 pm

a collage degree is more to change peoples opinions about you, Ive met extremely unintelligent people with collage degrees but they are considered intelligent because of the ethos a degree presents them, but I this dosent mean that you take nothing from collage, we live in a world where globally less than ten percent attend higher education, its certainly an advantage its just not for everyone
Back to top Go down
TheBlackLuffy

TheBlackLuffy

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2012 11:18 pm

Kenjiro Nakamura wrote:
I think it'd be better to go to college. It doesn't mean you'll get a job but it'll raise your chances of getting one I believe. That and I don't want people to go what I go through and work three jobs during spring, fall and winter then four in the summer.

Also my thoughts. And I never thought of it that way Julian...Hmmm. That changes a lot
Back to top Go down
Layman Iconoclast
Admin
Layman Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 12:11 am

honestly "give it the old collage try" isnt an expresson for nothing, if you hate collage or find that you cant stick with it then you can always change your mind but its considered better to atempt it than to wonder what might have been down the line
Back to top Go down
y dau cymraeg

y dau cymraeg

Location : a top secret location which even I dont know where it is

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 2:49 pm

In my opinion, college is just another option if you don't wanna head straight into the world of work or try an apprenticeship, it's essentialy so you can get proof you can do a certain type of skill for those taking a look at your CV and how well you could do it. Though most people I know on my art course do it because they just love the subject, could be as simple as really. Plus because of unemployment on the rise people go to college, so they won't have to look for a full time job.
Back to top Go down
Layman Iconoclast
Admin
Layman Iconoclast

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 2:57 pm

I wish my country did apprenticeships... seriously that sounds awesome, an apprentice animator for some guy in a studio
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)   How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How Necessary Is a College Education? (Serious Discussion)
Page 1 of 1