One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line

Providing the Original One Piece RP Experience Since 2007

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Timeline System

Go down 
+2
Sleepy
Maxulus
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Maxulus

Maxulus

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:02 am

For quite a while I was trying to figure a nice system which would allow us to have a stable timeline in the site and not have problems with the series during the events of numerous threads have happened. I could not think of anything... However, today, as I got up from my chair to get to the kitchen to get something to eat (lol), an idea came to my mind that will help us keep a timeline and will actually make things like Age change over the time, even if aging is something not really significant to the site.

The Timeline System I thought is based on the time that passes In Real Life (IRL). It works like this:
-Say that a crew (like my Dusk Pirates), starts a thread at 1 February and finishes it at 28 February. The thread has lasted for 28 days and inside the thread the time that has passed is barely 1 day. At first, it doesn't look like a problem but when the time comes for references to the thread by other people, there will obviously be a problem. The site is lacking a system which places the events of threads in a chronological order. As a result, there still is a chance to see in a thread, that has begun before the thread I started at 1 February and did not finish before I ended my thread, a reference to my thread because it is finished. That thread has started before mine, it takes place before mine and yet I see a reference to a thread that takes place in the future. Now THAT is a problem.
-As a result, I thought of this. The day in which a thread starts is the day in which the events of a thread take place. So, for example, the events of the thread which I started in February 1st take place at February 1st.
-However, that does not end here. As soon as a thread ends, the crew gets 2 choices. In the case there is a consecutive Saga, they can decide to continue a few days later from the day the first thread started, like a week or so. However, when the saga is finished, they are forced to have a time skip to their current date. For example, if the saga has started at February and it ends at June, they are forced to have a 5 month time skip. During the time skip, there is plenty of room for development. A crew can develop during it and get stronger, set up basements, recruit NPC members and even have bounty increases for actions during the time skip.
-This system will help all crews to have an order in the RPs and who knows... It might help us make the history of the site as well, as long as we have the events placed in a chronological order.

What are your opinions?
Back to top Go down

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:06 am

I APPROVE OF DIS IDEA! lol. Real nice going Max.
Back to top Go down
Sleepy

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 am

I'm up for it as well, it makes sense and leaves the option for the narrator instead of forcing new rules on him.
Back to top Go down
Rodoku
Admin
Rodoku

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 11:25 am

I really don know what to think about this... It could be good but it will complicate the roleplay experience a bit.
Back to top Go down
Hysteria

Hysteria

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Is there anything stopping people from doing this already? I dunno... Personally, I find it a bit superfluous to shove it onto everybody.

This would also make it so that people who have threads that take a while for whatever reason to have quite a bit of down time in between threads or whatever. Particularly threads made in a specific series. I personally prefer having shorter threads than long, drawn out ones. Being forced to have longer threads in order to dodge a mandatory time skip just doesn't sound too appealing. I guess I might organize my threads differently then some. I usually base the end of a thread at the end of a plot point, not necessarily based on setting or time.

Ugh, forced time skips. That is probably the worst part of the idea to me, personally. I think most people know how much I despise those. I can go through my usual griping, but I think most people have heard it already. If you haven't, then consider yourself spared a Hysteria rant. I'm all up for a nice, flexible yet useful timeline system... But forced time skips? I'd rather not have a time system at all.

I can probably go into more detail later, but I should be heading out to class :/

TL;DR - I don't see why people can't do this if they want to already, but forcing everyone to do the same is just weird in my opinion. I'm up for some sort of timeline, I'm just not entirely convinced about this one. Mandatory time skips would be a pain in the arse.
Back to top Go down
Layman Iconoclast
Admin
Layman Iconoclast

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 1:58 am

time skips for threads that many crews kinda do sort of screws with your system so much it more or less disables it completely
Back to top Go down
https://theonepiecerp.rpg-board.net
Cobdogred
Admin
Cobdogred

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 10:32 pm

Meh, I dislike this idea. I mean it really doesn't matter if the time-lines don't actually line up. It's not like this is something official or that has to be pin point precise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Timeline System Empty
PostSubject: Re: Timeline System   Timeline System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timeline System
Page 1 of 1