One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Piece RP - Race to the Grand Line

Providing the Original One Piece RP Experience Since 2007

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Health System

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cobdogred
Admin
Cobdogred

Health System  Empty
PostSubject: Health System    Health System  Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2015 8:08 pm

What...?  Were you expecting Nurse Joy or something?  Well sorry to tell you but this isn't Pokémon, so you’re stuck with me.  Besides who wouldn't want an orange mongoose as the one telling them how to have a healthy character?  Anyway, the health system works like most typical rpgs.  You have a set amount of health that is reduced once you take damage.  Simple enough right?  Well there is a bit more to it than that.  Most video game considers a multitude of factors that determine how much damage a certain attack does, and it's all calculated instantly.  Well we're not a video game so you'll have to do some of those calculations yourself.  I know, I know..."BUT MATH HURT"...I'll keep everything simple for those that like it that way.  

Every character starts out with 100 health points and gains five more for every level up.  You're probably thinking that wasn't too bad but...it's not really over.  Now we have to calculate the damage your character takes.  Let’s say you character have 150 health and 50% in their endurance stat and you're up against an opponent that has 60% in whatever attack stat they're using to attack you with.  All of the sudden they land a direct hit.  Now how do you determine how much health to take away?  First off you take the 60% attack of their attack and subtract it by the 50% of your endurance.  You're left with 10% which translates into 10 damage. See it's not too hard is it?  Now how do we calculate damage when endurance is equal to the attack?  This is where our rule of halves (kinda) kicks in.  Any damage done where the attack and defense is even will result in 5 damage.  This means everything from 0% to 5% more or equal to the endurance stat does the same damage.  What if the attack percentage is less than the endurance?  The rule of kinda half now kicks in.  For every 10% less the attack is when compared to the defense, the amount of damage is cut in half.  An example would be 50% defense with 40% attack would result in 3, 50% and 30% 2, 50% and 20% 1.  Everything below the thirty percent lower cut off, does no damage.    

BOOM HEADSHOT!:
So if you make a critical attack like a headshot or minimal attacks like a graze or a limb wound does the damage stay the same?  No, absolutely not.  Any damage taken by the head or vital organ gets multiplied by 3 while any attack that hits a limb the foe is divided by 2 and a graze is divided by 3.  "What about a graze to the head?"  ...You would go there.  Fine!  Take the damage calculated like shown above and first multiply it by 3, and then divide the resulting number by 3.  For example 60% endurance with 70% attack stat.  70-60=10.  10x3 for the headshot = 30/3=10 damage.  Trololo, yes I made you go through that entire "complicated" math problem for no reason.  A graze to the head does regular damage.  "What about a graze to the arm?  Seriously?...  Okay same formula as before.  70-60=10/3=3.3333333 rounded up to 4.  4/2=2, so 2 total damage.  When a decimal ever appears, it’s simply easier to round it up to the next whole number.

Tips to successfully calculating damage:
When you're calculating damage make sure you're using the specific % listed on the attack and not the full % of the stat.  If the attack has a multiplier, make sure all of the stats listed are able to be used by the character.  I'll give you an example of this.  Let’s say a character had a level 1 technique that required 5% skill, 5% attack, and 10% speed.  Now they character has 60% in skill and strength and 70% in speed.  They can increase the power of the technique up by multiplying all of the stats required to use the technique by the same factor.  While the strength and skill stat could fit into the 60% that would cause the required speed to rise to 120%.  So at most the technique can by increase by and still be usable by that character is seven fold which makes the skill and strength on the technique 35.  

When calculating how much damage the attack does make sure you know which stat is the damage stat.  The damage stat is the stat the user uses to determine damage.  For a swordsman or a sniper the damage would be determined by the amount in skill plus any possible bonuses the weapon provides.  The damage stat isn't set in stone however. A swordsman for example, may use another stat to attack with, if and only if that stat is mentioned to be a primary in the technique.

Now I'm sure that most people will be honest and calculate their damage according to the rules.  However it would probably be wise for you to calculate both your own and the damage taken by your foe.  We're all human here...I think?  Regardless, mistakes happen and it's better to catch them.  If you do catch someone making a mistake, do not be confrontational.  Simply private message or OOC the person and politely inform them of their mistake.

What Happens When Your Health Reaches Zero:
To explain what happens I first have to explain what happens when you lose health.  When a character lose health, the amount of health lost is equal to how "beat up" the character is.  It is up to the player’s discretion to decide how beat up the character is with how many hp they have left.  However this is not set in stone, if the staff finds a player is being unreasonable they may step in and indicate for them how the character would react to such damage.  For example someone with 1hp left, wouldn't be at full power.  In fact they would pretty much be at deaths door.  "So does my character die when my health reaches zero?"  Possibly...it really depends on the situation and the wounds you sustained to reach the zero hp mark.  Let’s say you're beaten or slashed to zero hp, if your doctor can treat you in time you may survive; however if you reach zero hp by being stabbed in the heart...you're pretty much dead.  There is no set post count to how long a character can last after reaching zero health, so be reasonable.  Once again, staff may step in and intervene in the situation.  Any attacks taken after the character reaches zero automatically constitute death.    While there are numerous ways to avoid death, it is still a factor in a advanced style of rp.

Last edited by Cobdogred on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cobdogred
Admin
Cobdogred

Health System  Empty
PostSubject: Natural Rate of Healing and Doctors   Health System  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 02, 2015 8:42 pm

The health system is a great addition to the advanced section; however it alone cannot fully represent the realistic style of One Piece rp we're trying to achieve. The base healing factor for a regular healthy person is 1HP for every eight posts for every 75 points of health the user possesses. There are many methods to increase the base rate. Doctors can increase the base rate by 1hp for every 10% and decrease the healing time by one post for every 25% they have in their practical intelligence stat. The doctor must be actively caring for the patient during a majority those eight posts (let’s say 5/8 posts) to successfully raise the base rate. Subtract one post from the required time the doctor needs to spend with the patient by 1 for every 50% of tactical intelligence.

Items can be purchased with beli to increase the rate of healing. The usefulness and duration of the item's effects will determine the price. Most based health items with be reasonably priced, however they will also have a number of uses assigned. The more of the item that can be used, the more the item will cost. It's like buying a bigger bottle of ketchup versus a smaller one; the one with the more quantity will always cost more.
Back to top Go down

Health System
Page 1 of 1